Wooster Courthouse Tour
By Scott McLellan
The Wayne County Court of Common Pleas, known colloquially as the Wooster Courthouse, is an icon of the city to its visitors and its residents. While it is not Wooster’s first building to house a court, the one that now sits on the corner of Market and Liberty Streets was completed in 1878. The new building was a far cry in aesthethics from the orignal meeting place in John Bever’s log cabin. The muscled statues of Atlas supporting the building, finely crafted by Italian stonemasons, obviously show this. Currently, the courthouse has the opportunity to go through renovations and restorations. While this has been estimated at a much higher cost than building a new courthouse, the courthouse’s worth as a symbol of Downtown Wooster far exceeds its worth as a mere building.