Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Wooster Digital History Project

Browse Items (23 total)

  • Tags: German Religious Communities

Photo of the Jacob's Lutheran Cemetery and Foundation in Franklin Township.

Photo taken across the street from the remnants of Jacob's Lutheran Church, featuring the junction signs.

Photograph of August Imgard, the man credited with bringing the Christmas Tree to Wooster. For many years, Wooster legend persisted that he brought the Christmas tree to the United States.

Painting of August Imgard, the man credited with bringing the Christmas Tree to Wooster. For many years, local legend suggested that he was the first to bring the Christmas tree to America.

Photo of Dr. Scheiber, the German professor who first proved that Wooster was not the site of the first American Christmas tree by citing earlier instances in Cleveland and Buffalo, NY.

Modern photo of August Imgard's house, the man credited with bringing the Christmas tree to Wooster. The building is now the rectory of St. Mary's Church.

Stamps sold in Wooster in the late 19th century that continued the legend of Wooster as the "home of the first Christmas tree."

Program from a religious celebration in Wooster's town square in 1947 to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the christmas tree in Wooster.

Residence of August Imgard, the man credited with bringing the Christmas tree to Wooster. This photo was taken before the house was moved to it's current located at St. Mary's Church.

Photo of the Wooster Christmas Tree, located in the Wooster Cemetery, lit-up for Christmas.

Plaque outside of the Salem Lutheran Church stating that the congregation was founded in 1828 by Reverend Weygandt.

Photo of the front of Salem Lutheran Church, one of the oldest German Lutheran congregations in Wooster.

This is what the Trinity United Church of Christ, a congregation that merged the Evangelical Lutherans and English Reformed Church in 1953, looks like today.

In the interior lobby of the Trinity United Church of Christ stands the original facade of the church.

A postcard featuring Christ's Church, today Trinity United Church of Christ. The Evangelical Christ's Church was once affiliated with the German Lutheran congregation, until it merged with the German Reformed Church in 1953.

An artist's conception of the first Zion Lutheran Church Building, which served as a place of worship from 1840-1855. This cabin was similar to many other Evangelical churches of the time.

A program, partially in German, from the 1913 dedication anniversary of the Evangelical Christ Church. The congregation was part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

A certificate of church membership to the German Reformed Church. According to the Wayne County Genealogy and Local History Department, in 1849 when this document was dated, the German Reformed Church referred to "Salem's Church," now known as Salem…

This certificate of membership to the German Reformed Church highlights the importance of taking communion. Curiously, the certificate is completely in English.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2