Search

Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:





Advanced Search (Items only)

Wooster Digital History Project

Browse Items (11 total)

  • Tags: Wooster Before 1850: A Cultural Crossroads

8960710750_d41e79249d_b.jpg
Although Bever’s family name may still be up for debate, the town uses the common Irish pronunciation and the common German spelling for the street named in his honor: a seamless combination of his cultural background.

9077702088_b693513600_b.jpg
John Larwill was among the first surveyors and also holds the title of constructing the house in Wooster, which once stood in a space now occupied by a paint store.

DSC00719.jpg
John Larwill came with his brothers to Wooster in 1807. Contemporary historian Ben Douglas reported that Larwill became Wooster's Justice of the Peace in 1820 and married sixty-two couples during his tenure.

larwill article 3.jpg
Joseph Larwill has been featured in many Daily Record articles over the years and holds special importance as a founder of the town, a politician, and local business owner.

8960679094_d6d5739c2a_b.jpg
The current downtown Wooster courthouse serves as a reminder of one of the conditions for Wooster’s position as county seat, which was to construct a courthouse.

Wayne_Portrait.jpg
General Anthony Wayne had an extensive military career and was involved in the Treaty of Greenville. He has had many towns, villages, bridges, and counties named after him.

DSC00733.jpg
General David Wooster was a military figure in the Revolutionary War, and although he does not share any direct ties with the initial surveyors, they selected him as the town’s namesake.

8885328971_8af6df4627_b.jpg
William Henry was a prominent figure in Wooster’s early history as he was both an initial surveyor and served as a judge for the Court of Common Pleas.

9006731029_14ecf0b4be_b.jpg
William Henry’s obituary in the Wooster Republican listed his numerous positions including judge, businessman, and member of the Christian community.

9024280317_2044ea70f9_b.jpg
The Larwill brothers, John Bever, and William Henry laid out the town center and main streets of Wooster in 1808.

8959532479_7abc7d7e5e_b.jpg
Many of Wooster’s streets are named after the early surveyors such as North Grant Street (pictured above), North Bever Street, and West Larwill Street.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2