Search

Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:





Advanced Search (Items only)

Wooster Digital History Project

Browse Items (492 total)

Cattle-Leading.jpg
A line of fair-goers lead cattle across the race track, passing the fairgrounds' stadium.

Knesseth Israel Temple Program.jpg
Displayed is a cover of the 1966-1967 Yearbook from the Knesseth Israel Temple.

9074893561_abfdf95577_b.jpg
Plaque on Knesseth Israel Temples door, detailing the founding of the Temple

8896379844_0e8523439e_o.jpg
Scan from microfilm of a news article commemorating the cornerstone of the Jewish Temple. Headline reads: "Knesseth Israel Cornerstone Placed Sunday."

9074894535_73655b3478_o.jpg
The facade of Knesseth Israel Temple on Cleveland Road, with the front sign in view

DSC00692.jpg
Photo of an early farm in Wayne County, with a flock of sheep in the foreground, circa 1900.

FarmersTraveling_001.jpg
Early photo of travelers to a farm in Wayne County.

WagonTrain_001.jpg
A wagon train of new farmers to Wayne County, flanked by two wooden fences, traveling from Columbus to Wooster.

layingdownroots6.jpg
Photo of the Barnhart Rice Homestead, currently located on the OARDC campus.

layingdownroots8.jpg
Photo of the Simon Rice Home, now the headquarters of the police at OARDC.

notaonecroptown2.jpg
This sketch from Caldwell's Atlas of 1873 focuses on the farm of A.H. and B.C. Byers, located on the west side of Christmas Run south of Wayne Avenue. It was located so close to downtown Wooster that one can even see the steeples of churches in the…

957150eac82b39fbc17f8d18455fb455.jpg
A tag from the Blough Bros in Orrville, Ohio. In the late Nineteenth century, potatoes were one of Wayne County's staple crops. many local farmers grow potatoes today as well.

DSC00691.jpg
This public sale notice emphasizes the diversity of crops on every small farm in Wayne County. The D. Y. Roebuck farm advertises their horses, cows, sheep, pigs, hay, corn, and seeds.

DSC00680.jpg
Dairies have been major agricultural businesses in Wayne County for over a century. This public sale notice of Milch Cows underscores the importance of these animals to the farming community.

CaldwellAtlas_002 copy.jpg
This sketch from Caldwell's Atlas of 1873 shows the Fountain Hill Nursery of J. Gardner, two miles west of Orrville on the Wooster Road. As seen in the image, the nursery housed many different crops and animals side-by-side.

CaldwellAtlas_003.jpg
This sketch from Caldwell's Atlas of 1873 focuses on Benjamin Hershey's Mill Creek Farm, in Chippewa Township. It features a mill in the foreground, surrounded by fields of different crops.

DSC00705.jpg
This photo from the Agricultural College Extension Bulletin demonstrates an innovative piece of technology sold in Wayne County starting in the mid-Nineteenth century - the plank drag.

technologychangedeverything2.jpg
This piece of innovative technology from the mid-Nineteenth century was captured in a sketch by the Caldwell Atlas of 1873. It features a man cutting lodged and tangled grain with a mower from Cline, Seiberling and Co., of Doylestown, Ohio.

1.jpg
This sketch from Caldwell's Atlas of 1873 features a mower from Excelsior Mower and Reaper Works of Cline, Seiberling and Co., in Doylestown, Ohio. The piece of innovative farm technology was sold in the mid-Nineteenth century to cut lodged and…

technologychangedeverything5.jpg
This photograph shows a man cutting wheat with a cradle and binding it by hand. In Paul Conkin's "A Revolution Down on the Farm," he describes the cradle as the second most important farming innovation of the Nineteenth century, after barbed wire.

technologychangedeverything6.jpg
This photograph shows a group of men cutting wheat with a cradle and binding it by hand. In Paul Conkin's "A Revolution Down on the Farm," he describes the cradle as the second most important farming innovation of the Nineteenth century, after barbed…

technologychangedeverything7.jpg
Photograph of John Deere, of Deere & Co., who was the first the patent the metal plow in 1837.

DSC00707.jpg
In this rare letter from D.L. Freedlander, he celebrates the continued prosperity of the store and cites his decision to establish fixed prices as a reason for its success.

18845a498603a2ecca8779b2f495d55f.jpg
This certificate of membership to the German Reformed Church highlights the importance of taking communion. Curiously, the certificate is completely in English.

toedit3.jpg
A certificate of church membership to the German Reformed Church. According to the Wayne County Genealogy and Local History Department, in 1849 when this document was dated, the German Reformed Church referred to "Salem's Church," now known as Salem…

7fd6df7589600f90312506f924611229.jpg
A program, partially in German, from the 1913 dedication anniversary of the Evangelical Christ Church. The congregation was part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

f61857298d10be1ed56d52464bcf9767.jpg
Freedlander’s went through many name changes, including D.L. Freedlander’s One Price Clothier, named after David Louis Freedlander, the original owner.

photo-102_DL orignal letterhead.jpg
The original name of the store reflects D.L. Freedlander’s hometown, which both he and his son, Herman worked to make a viable business.

toedit4.jpg
An artist's conception of the first Zion Lutheran Church Building, which served as a place of worship from 1840-1855. This cabin was similar to many other Evangelical churches of the time.

95_Freed. cart paradae.jpg
D.L. Freedlander would have been on a similar wagon to this when he first set his sights on Wooster and decided to establish a store.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2